Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Status: Post-Interview Post-Mortem

Well, that's done. It was a 4-person group interview conducted by an actual Friend of the Kennedy Center (and she was so rubbing it in our face, like when she asked "Do you have any questions about being a Friend?" We get it. You're a Friend and we're not.)

It was a very vague interview. The four of us walked out of there not knowing where we stood. The interviewer mentioned there will be an orientation for all the Friends applicants, but didn't say whether we were actually Friends. And I certainly don't feel like a Friend.

So I continue with this campaign. I now realize the Kennedy Center will protract this as long as possible. I guess it gets pretty boring over there, so they toy with my emotions instead. But this can't go on forever, and I'm forced to make a decision. I need to set a goal. Or an endgame.

And here it is: My definition of Friendship will be . . . do i get a Name badge. Until that badge is around my neck, I am not a Friend. [Being told "You are not a Friend" would also end this effort . . . probably]

Some things I learned at today's interview:
  • It costs $17 to park at the Kennedy Center. If you're a Friend, it costs $2. If you take the Metro, you might touch a stranger's bum.

  • One woman in the interview said she spoke French and German and the interviewer said that was a plus. Hearing this, I might have exaggerated my own linguistic skills. But I don't think it will be a problem unless somebody shows up who actually speaks Bandjalang. I also told them I could transmit Morse Code at 8 words a minute. You know, in case any tugboats wanted a tour.

  • I probably didn't have to stay up late the past 3 weeks studying for this interview. The subject of "Sugar Plum Fairy Understudies" never came up.

No comments: